For those of you that read that last post, you know that my fantastic father, El Padre, shared with us a little something about a wellness option he proudly endorses to the fullest. But that was only the beginning…here is part 2 of his article!
The Wonder Pill: Fighting Obesity, Diabetes, Cancer, and Aging
Frank Vieras, M.D.
Clinical Anti-cancer effects
Metformin has been proven effective against a variety of cancers in laboratory studies and in human clinical trials. The continually expanding list currently includes the following types, listed in alphabetical order:
- Endometrium (inner lining of the uterus)
It is beyond the scope of this article to describe further the specific and sophisticated biochemical pathways leading to metformin’s anti-cancer effects and the statistical results obtained with different types of cancers. However, it seems appropriate to mention that some of the most compelling results with metformin have been seen in breast cancers. It has proven to be effective against most types of breast cancer, including some breast cancer cell types which are quite resistant to treatment.
In addition, I wish to mention the impressive results obtained in a large controlled clinical trial of about 1,000 patients with cancer of the pancreas, a dreaded type of cancer which is mortal in nearly all its victims. In this trial, diabetic patients taking metformin showed a 62% reduction in pancreatic cancer risk compared to the control group. The study was conducted at the renowned M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas (Li D, et al, 2009).
These observations have led respected scientists from different parts of the world to firmly suggest that metformin should play a significant role in the prevention of breast cancer, and this is very likely extensive to other types.
Metformin’s comprehensive and dynamic properties certainly qualify this readily available drug as a “wonder elixir”. However, metformin should not be considered a substitute to healthy eating habits. It is my reasoned opinion that optimal nutrition represents the unquestionable foundation of good health. Minimizing intake of nutrient- deficient foods such as carbohydrates, particularly the simple, refined types (sugar, sugar-based products, enriched flours, etc.), processed foods, and partially hydrogenated oils, comprises the basic tenet of healthy nutrition.
The Bottom Line
- Metformin is a true “wonder” drug.
- Regular intake of metformin provides a wide array of health-enhancing benefits.
- In tandem with a healthy nutrition, metformin can help you gain control of your weight whether or not you suffer from diabetes.
- Metformin can help you prevent the onset of diabetes or control blood sugar levels if you are diabetic.
- Metformin has proven effective against a variety of cancer types and can be used in the prevention of breast cancer. It is anticipated that further evidence will show that it may also be effective in the prevention of other cancer types.
- Metformin exerts anti-aging effects via pathways which mimic calorie restriction.
Disclaimer and warning: The information provided is not intended as medical advice. Metformin is a prescription drug with a remarkable safety profile. However, your primary health care provider should be consulted prior to commencing intake of metformin.
Acknowledgement: Sources of information for this article include original reports found in the medical and scientific literature. I am indebted to my daughter Frances Vieras Blanc for her insightful editorial comments.